Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Boundaries through urban areas
Date: Oct 31, 2003 @ 17:20
Author: Flynn, Kevin ("Flynn, Kevin" <flynnk@...>)

In southern New Jersey's Gloucester County, there is a small borough called
National Park, on the banks of the Delaware River, surrounded by the
incorporated township of West Deptford. But the platting of lots failed to
follow the municipal boundaries. This led to a town boundary running
diagonally through a residential block.

When I worked at a newspaper in nearby Woodbury, I wrote an article about a
family that lived in a house divided. Living room in West Deptford, master
bedroom in National Park. The county clerk had to make a decision as to
where the family would vote, and it was decided that people vote where they
"sleep," therefore they were registered in the borough of National Park. But
their utilities, which ran from and to mains in the street out front, were
in West Deptford; trash pickup was by West Deptford, etc.

I interviewed the fellow in his basement rec room which included a bar. He
served me a drink across the town line.