Subject: Re: sales
Date: Oct 20, 2003 @ 19:08
Author: L. A. Nadybal ("L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

The west German government paid a lot of money on many occasions from
1955-1989 to the east Germans for various purposes, some of which were
to obtain sovereignty concessions over access routes. One of which I
recall was to open a hole in the wall so that W. Berlin garbage trucks
could get to access routes to dumpsites in the east. I believe there
were also case of money involved in exchanges for access routes to
exclaves and for relinquishment of territory to allow the widening of
freeways between W German and W Berlin so that the widened road would
remain wholly in allied territory. I'm not certain, but I think the
rerouting of the southern freeway access eastward away from Albrechts
Teerofen was one of them. At Albrechts, the freeway crossed about 100
meters of W German territory, re-entered the east for 100 yards or so,
and then finally went into W Berlin proper. Moving it east allowed
the E to control right up to the border, and the W got relieved of E
Vopos wanting to get to their 100 meter portion north of the W
portion. The innrer German borders didn't change, as I recall, the
Allies' sovereign rights (US Zone) of access had to be realigned
within the width of which the road had to traverse.

Regards
LN