Subject: Re: Baarle translation?
Date: Oct 20, 2003 @ 18:16
Author: P. Joost Lemmens ("P. Joost Lemmens" <joostik@...>)

The verse is about the differences between the Dutch and the Belgian
Lions: the Dutch Lion has a crown, the Belgian hasn't; the Dutch Lion
holds sword and arrows, the Belgian doesn't.

"geen kroon kan hem beklemmen"

"beklemmen" can mean "to frighten", which would make it:

"no crown can make him fear"

but the more common literal and in this case correct meaning is "to
constrict"

So it is (lit.): "no crown can constrict him".

"Al zwaait hij niet met zwaard en pijl"

Should translate:

"Even if he doesn't swing with sword and arrow"

without "his".

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Brendan Whyte <bwhyte@u...>