Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Four Corners-type clubs?
Date: Oct 02, 2003 @ 10:59
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <knm@...>)

>in fact i think we can only count connecticut delaware colorado
>utah & the netherlands among the places anyone has actually
>visited in so comprehensive a way

I've visited the traditional four corners of the UK mainland - Land's End
(SW), John O'Groats (NE), Cape Wrath (NW) and Dungeness (SE). However, this
is just convention rather than having any sound geographical basis.

In particular, John O'Groats is neither the most northerly (which is Dunnet
Head) or most 'north-easterly' (which is Duncansby Head), but is actually
the harbour from which you can cross to the Orkney Islands. Luckily I
visited all those extra points to be on the safe side!

The most southerly point is actually Lizard Point (visited), the most
westerly is Ardnamurchan Point (pretty inaccessible), and the most Easterly
is Lowestoft (visited). Of course, if you include all the islands, the four
corners would then move to somewhere in the Shetlands, Scillies and either
St Kilda or Rockall, but there is no recognised convention as to where
these corners actually lie.

Regards,

Kevin Meynell