Subject: Re: Four Corners-type clubs?
Date: Oct 02, 2003 @ 14:22
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

had to look at a map to comprehend what you mean kevin
but what a pleasure to see all this pan out as the truest available
semicardinal news tour of this the greatest of the british isles

no minor or partial accomplishment
& an outstanding addition imo to our very short list of truly
newsworthy news tours

for it is one thing to do this sort of thing to colorado
but quite another to do it to britain

of course all such tours must be according to someones
subjective definition
& they usually involve some degree of compromise or self
indulgence

but this tour of yours seems far more coherent & consistent than
most
whether you hit all your points by actually twinkling your toes at
low tide or not

it reminds me of my own still incomplete absolute news tour of
connecticut

no problem hitting absolute ctn & cte & ctw
as they are all dry monumented points

cts was & still is a piece of resistance tho

first i hit continental cts at byram point on foot
so i completed the continental news tour first

then boated out to dry cts on great captain island
& completed my dry news tour at its southernmost point

but then i actually needed to be rescued
& very fortunately so
in a failed try to reach absolute cts
an unmarked wet point 2 miles farther south into long island
sound

so i have never completed the absolute news tour of connecticut

nor do i believe anyone else has ever completed such a tour of
anywhere

an absolute semicardinal news tour of colorado yes

& now a very putatively absolute semicardinal news tour of the
island of britain

but an absolute cardinal news tour of anywhere is still in our
future
so far as i know
& will be quite a prize when it is finally achieved

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Meynell
<knm@m...> wrote:

> >in fact i think we can only count connecticut delaware
colorado
> >utah & the netherlands among the places anyone has
actually
> >visited in so comprehensive a way
>
> I've visited the traditional four corners of the UK mainland -
Land's End
> (SW), John O'Groats (NE), Cape Wrath (NW) and Dungeness
(SE). However, this
> is just convention rather than having any sound geographical
basis.

> In particular, John O'Groats is neither the most northerly (which
is Dunnet
> Head) or most 'north-easterly' (which is Duncansby Head), but
is actually
> the harbour from which you can cross to the Orkney Islands.
Luckily I
> visited all those extra points to be on the safe side!
>
> The most southerly point is actually Lizard Point (visited), the
most
> westerly is Ardnamurchan Point (pretty inaccessible), and the
most Easterly
> is Lowestoft (visited). Of course, if you include all the islands,
the four
> corners would then move to somewhere in the Shetlands,
Scillies and either