Subject: Re: BoundaryPoint and borders
Date: Sep 04, 2003 @ 05:10
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

kevin i trust i have answered your earlier post in responding to
similar questions & points made by others
except for the question you raised of what to make of the
coincidence of our group name boundarypoint
with the fact that there are nonmultipoint points on boundaries
that can also technically be called boundary points

in fact every point on a boundary is a boundary point
& not just some of them
as you may recall from our oktx discussion

so right you are in counting every point a boundary point
but as i thought our charter makes clear
the existence of such other boundary points than the multipoints
we expressly intend is just a happenchance of language
& not even a completely coincident one by our exacting
standards
& is thus without any especial significance for us here

& as to your following afterthought
you are of course right again
as ibrg is no longer available for this function
if indeed it ever was
but to answer your subsequent question
ibrg & ibru are the 2 boundary discussion groups i meant

& a few specific answers follow here too

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Flynn, Kevin"
<flynnk@r...> wrote:
> I guess a reason that might not be a solution is that, as
someone else
> mentioned here, IBRG is more highly specialized than the
types of border
> discussions some of us have wanted to have. Here is the intro
from
> intborder's home page:
>
> "The International Border Research Group (IBRG) is studying
international
> borders and publishing the results. Membership is available
for researchers,
> writers and other professionals especially interested in border
expeditions.
> Every year the IBRG is arranging an international border
expedition. From
> 9th - 21st July 2003 The Great Baltic Border Expedition (GBBE)
was taking
> place."
>
> What if we are not "especially interested" in making actual
expeditions to
> international borders?

ok i agree thats kaput now
but even so
do you then assume bp ought to go out of its way to specially
accommodate your interest

that doesnt follow either

i dont understand what you expect of us & why

you are more than welcome here of course
but if you are off point you are off point
& therefore perhaps subject to more than the usual degree of
potential improvement

for as a group
willfully disregardful readings to the contrary notwithstanding
we not only have a true topic
multipoints
but a true function also
multipointing

Or have desire to discuss non-international borders
> (states, provinces, others?) of the type more appropriate to
boundary
> points?

thats ok
enjoy them virtually with us
thats one big reason why we are here

Some of us cannot make such expeditions for many reasonable
> circumstances.

course
> of many months of messages
> & indeed i thought we did all this particularly because ibrg is
> already expressly & fully devoted to borders
> & so people who are interested in both multipoints in particular
&
> borders in general could subscribe to both groups
> & indeed they & you have subscribed to both groups
>
> & moreover i thought we did all this especially so as to be able
> relax about the admittedly difficult question you are again
raising

> so i still dont get what all the commotion is about
>

> why dont we just use our existing second group for the
purposes
> we intended it for
>
> & why would we need to even think about creating yet another
> group at this point
>

> perhaps just maintaining an affirmation of ibrg on the bp home
> page with a referral of general border freaks to it
> & perhaps adding a corresponding affirmation of bp to the ibrg
> home page with a referral back to bp for the only slightly
strange
> multipointer individuals
> is all we really need to do now
> to ice & decorate our otherwise already fully effective freak &
nut
> layer cake
>
> & welcome back jan
>
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Jesper Nielsen"
> <jesniel@i...> wrote:
> > Dear fellow multipointers and border freaks
> >
> > BoundaryPoint has changed my life. It sounds like a cliche,
but
> the truth is that without this group I would never have seen or
> attempted 24 international tripoints, or probably been the first
> visit all DK county tripoints. I would also not have had the large
> volume of knowledge of international borders that I have today,
> all thanks to you. Without BoundaryPoint there wouldn't have
> been a Border Crossing Hitlist or BorderBase, etc. etc.
> >
> > But my interests for border and boundaries do go beyound
> multipoints. I would much rather visit the dry BGRO than the
very
> wet BGCSRO at the other end. Not that I would miss BGCSRO
> though.
> >
> > But BoundaryPoint is not really a border group, it's a
multipoint

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/