Subject: Fwd: New file uploaded to BoundaryPoint
Date: Aug 30, 2003 @ 17:46
Author: Michael Donner ("Michael Donner" <barbaria_longa@hotmail.com>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

>This email message is a notification to let you know that
>a file has been uploaded to the Files area of your BoundaryPoint
>group.
>
> File : /BP.Classes.txt
> Uploaded by : mikekaufman79 <mikekaufman79@yahoo.com>
> Description : Multipointing Classifications
>
>You can access the file at the URL

nice hoisting my fellow mikesake
a file both thin enough to even fit in our files section any more
& yet substantial enough to be the most definitive distillation to date of
our try pointing classes

& i would just like to add that this new montage of them does finally make
practically everything crystal clear
even tho some of the references have necessarily been shorn of their
original context for blessed simplicity
with perhaps the only remaining loose end in all this occurring in class b
which is the most interesting of the classes anyway
so let me just ramble on about it some more
while not forgetting the calls for simplicity either

for tho i dont think there is likely to ever be much disagreement about the
other 4 classes
there are at least 3 known schools of thought regarding class b
each producing a slightly different standard of visit

first the subjective school
which says
this feels like the right general place
so lets say we have been here & call it a day

class b as in being here

& this is punctiliously accurate & true with regard to the pointer
since the subjective experience has evidently been fully attained
tho not necessarily the most objective possible point itself

a good example might be the attached ctnyri visit
where i made the best possible visual alignments with the help of the topo
http://test.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=41.295&lon=-71.90&s=100&size=l&symshow=n&u=0&layer=DRG25
then called it a day & a point well made when my hair stood on end
as the ocean swells arriving thru lords passage tossed the dinghy in all
directions

didnt even bother bringing a gps receiver since this was in the period of
selective availability
& a careful reading of the topo & the swells alone actually produced a more
accurate visit in those days

perhaps a better class b visit could be made today with an ordinary gps
receiver
but a topo or nautical chart etc was the basic state of the art at that time
& enough to convince myself i had done all one could do to make this point

then there is the objective school
which says
cmon we are try pointing here arent we
so gawd whatever we do lets not forget the point
especially not in the moment of greatest truth
when we are staring right at it

lets not come all this way just to deceive ourselves

lets continue to seek the most punctiliously accurate point or points we can
determine
in terms of objective reality
& if we cant or dont do that
well then we havent truly & basically made our point class b yet
so in such a case we are at best still only class c

& i think if you know you still definitely have somewhere you could go in
order to improve the try further
then you have to acknowledge the difference between just being close &
actually being there
or you are simply not interested in the truth

& finally there is the comprehensive school
which besides including both the subjective & objective views
tries to bridge any remaining gap from class c to class b
by combining best possible research with best available methodology & best
personal effort etc
to somehow synthesize a class b visit
by convincing oneself that one really has basically been there
at the literally true or truest available point
or has at least covered all the bases to get there

this is tricky tho at best

compare brians & my class b claims to ctnyri

or to mnndsd for that matter

there again i just read the usgs topo & made my try 80 feet due east of the
witness rock
simply acting to the best of my belief & ability
then trampled all around this best guessed position for several yards in all
directions
both searching for any artifact or other clue of course but also pounding
all the neighboring probabilities

brian however
being to his credit less willing to accept received truth
beat the bushes not only in the 80 foot area but clear across the river

& no matter that his 32 inch margin of angular error at a distance of 80
feet from the monument increased to a 20 foot margin in the vicinity of the
river
thus involving actually a 40 foot length of river bed by this reckoning
whatever the breadth of the stream at that time
for he had only to satisfy his own belief that he had swept the entire area
for all imaginable probabilities

so in a nutshell there are perhaps various ways of believing & claiming you
have basically been there
but in my own view
to lose sight of the fact that you are at all times actually seeking a
distinct point or points
rather than merely a distinct area or even just a vague area
is to compromise & confound an otherwise perfectly true class b visit try &
claim
into a still beautiful but actually less basic class c

for it is just as easy to miss an unmarked but real class b opportunity
as it is to forget to touch the right point on a tripoint rock for a real
class a

both of these types of near misses are by objective reckoning actually class

of course all this was meant to be simple as pie
absolute basic close distant elusive

it is just when people naturally want to stretch the truth that things do
get a little more complicated

Enter for your chance to IM with Bon Jovi, Seal, Bow Wow, or Mary J Blige
using MSN Messenger http://entertainment.msn.com/imastar