Subject: voronoi message 4657 twenty months later
Date: Jul 18, 2003 @ 02:03
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Grant Hutchison"
<granthutchison@b...> wrote:
> Michael:
> > > also
> > > do we now have the ability to learn the farthest point on
earth
> from the sea
> > > & the farthest from land
>
> > wouldnt anyone besides me like to know what these very
particular 2
> points are
> >
> > or even just like to try for them
>
> Me, I'd like to know. But I don't have a good approach that
doesn't
> involve trial and error on a massive scale.
>
> Grant

so after trial & error on a truly massive scale
i believe i may at least have found the farthest point on earth from
the sea
tho the farthest point on earth from land remains anyones guess
& will surely be far more difficult to find than this

for unless i have missed something
there appears to be an unbeatable voronoi point or window
in the upper ulungur valley of northeastern sinkiang
at approximately north lat 46d03m by east long 89d09m
where the sea lies at least 1520 miles away in every direction

as the great circle crow flies from there
the closest points of maritime access are
the nadym estuary on the gulf of ob in siberia to the nnw
& the hai & jiyun estuaries on the bohai wan to the ene
& the ganges & jumna estuaries in bangladesh to the sse

& because the salt water penetrations are so highly variable
especially in the last mentioned cases
which are subject to extreme seasonal fluctuations
it is not likely that a more exactly equidistant location can be
determined within this general target area

in fact just calling it to the nearest whole degree
at n46 x e89
might be more honest

determining the farthest point on earth from land tho
will probably require far more accuracy than this
as well as far more & far better data
not to mention far more patience