Subject: Re: Adjustment of 1912
Date: Jul 17, 2003 @ 03:04
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "bjbutlerus"
<bjbutler@b...> wrote:
> The "adjustment of 1912" appears to be a vertical datum
correction
> that affected benchmarks all over the country, not just in the
greater
> MN-ND-SD area, so I think there is nothing sacred about that
year in
> terms of boundary changes or the DAMN line.
>
> BJB

ok right
this is a misidentification of what i meant
which as i say has been eluding rediscovery

perhaps more to the point are the similarly elusive references to
many rural wetlands drained in 1912 to provide more crop land
such as occurs at the end of
http://midwest.fws.gov/ecosys/hilights.htm

but again for the reasons mentioned
i myself have pretty much given up on 1912
in favor of the period between 1869 & 1891

the historic records at
http://www.rrbdin.org/floodtables.htm
indicate devastating floods in 1871 1873 1882 & 1883

& i realize you dont believe natural avulsions are even possible
on this river
so i wont argue with you
except to reiterate my perhaps naive belief that if a flood on any
stream is powerful enough for the entire flood plain to get
scoured then the channel might resettle in a new location

& i do have to mention the problematic flip side of this coin
which is that i find it hard to imagine what 19th century manmade
avulsions might have looked like

i mean what could a very few locals & their oxen or horses have
done to reconstruct a scene like this
http://www.oldprintshop.com/images/large/28107.jpg

also your puzzled observation about the old & new channels on
your usace map seeming to be in the reversed positions
could be resolved by a return of the stream to its old bed
in a subsequent avulsion

but anyway with far more questions now than we can answer
with any confidence
we may well have reached an impasse in our speculations
which will only be resolved by harder data than we now have