Subject: Re: And another Austrian tripoint
Date: Jul 01, 2003 @ 11:03
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "acroorca2002" <orc@o...> wrote:

> however i continue to think & feel after long comparison &
> reflection that writing such odd letters in caps makes them
> harder to read
> & easier to mistake for incoherent shouting or ham call letters
> & thus more daunting to anyone who tries to pronounce them
> even as fluency in & with them remains most of the point &
> advantage of using them at all
>
> but again i know you & others have tried them both ways
> so here again i wonder what you all think about this if anything

I use capitals because ISO 3166 (country codes) does; lower case is
used for ISO 639-1 (language codes).

Thus, FR is France, NL is the Netherlands, DE is Germany. fr is
French, nl is Dutch, and de is German. (But beware: sometimes country
and language codes are different: SE=Sweden, sv=Swedish; DK=Denmark,
da=Danish; JP=Japan, ja=Japanese.)
You can combine the two, too: de-BE is the German spoken in Belgium,
it-CH is the Italian spoken in Switzerland, nl-FR is the Dutch spoken
in France.

But it is true that ISO only recommends you to make this lower/upper
case distinction; the codes are often used in tags and treated as
case insensitive. I guess the order becomes more important then.

And we don't use language codes a lot here at BP, of course.

Peter S.

PS: Incoherent shouting and ham call signs I also recognise by the
context these things are in. If a text becomes too incoherent, I skip
the lot... :-)