Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: ellis island
Date: Jun 23, 2003 @ 21:48
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Acroorca wrote:

> also our other informant said the line ran right thru the middle of
> the gift shop when he was there some years before you
> so perhaps they have adjusted the layout &or deliberately placed
> all the actual cash flow in one state or the other for some reason

Years ago, I visited an old-fashioned general store called "The Alexander
Company" at Bethany, LATX. The building is about two-thirds in Louisiana and
one-third in Texas. The owner and I were the only ones there as I bought and
consumed a soft drink, so I was able to ask questions. Since his cash register
was in Texas, I assumed that he did business licensing and sales taxes in Texas;
but he said that Louisiana required him to have a business license too and to
pay sales taxes on the goods displayed for sale in Louisiana. He said that he
knew which goods were in which state, and he just rang them up on separate keys
of the cash register. So, legally, he was running two different businesses and
keeping two different sets of books. He also had two wall phones from two phone
companies about a foot apart with the boundary running invisibly between them.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA