Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] shortest interstate transit was Re: Hancok, MD
Date: Jun 10, 2003 @ 01:54
Author: Brendan (Brendan <pit.hokie@...>)

Michael et al.,

Sorry about the confusion re: US 340. There *is* only one crossing in the
MD-VA-WV tripoint area - the other is some ways west near Gaylord, VA in
Clarke County.
I-684 in Connecticut is indeed the shortest non-terminating Interstate in
any one state in the U.S.
There are several urban Interstates - "3di's" (for three-digit Interstate),
as they're called -- that briefly enter one state and end there.
Of note also is the Capital Beltway (I-495) which technically enters DC
"air" over the Potomac for about 1/4 mile near Jones Point while crossing
the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. There are no signs, but there are buoys in the
water and markings on the bridge piers to indicate the crossings.
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=38.78809514084407&lon=-77.03100298084011&s=25&symshow=n
Also, when completed, I-86 through New York will dip briefly down into
Pennsylvania near Waverly.

Brendan

P.S. Scroll about 4/5 of the way down on this page and you'll see a pic of
a sign welcoming you to Greenwich on I-684 which was in place as of
sometime in 1998.
http://www.nycroads.com/roads/I-684_NY/

> That gets my vote... approximately 600 feet of the Beltway is inside DC,
> looking at Mapquest.
>
> However, I don't recall any signs saying "entering DC" / "leaving DC".
>
> If there are no signs...do the borders really exist?

There are no signs on the bridge; but IIRC there are buoys in the river
below and/or markings on the bridge piers to show where the bridge crosses
the boundary. Yes, I have been down there....