Subject: Re: St Maarten
Date: Jun 07, 2003 @ 00:28
Author: L. A. Nadybal ("L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

Hi.
Oh. It's Lundy that is in the Bristol channel. Thinking about Man
as a distinct entity not part of the UK, it could take the place of
Ireland in my example, except that one has to ask, with respect to the
"pene-" part, does one leave the territorial waters of the UK to boat
from UK to Northern Ireland? If not, then the land of the Isle is
surrounded by territorial waters and becomes a full fledged enclave in
one sense, like that of San Marino (although it's neighbor isn't
overseas). I read that the Isle of Man has no territorial waters and
that there were discussions in the 1960s about it wanting to maintain
some sovereignty in order to prevent the UK from damaging it's coasts
and to remain able to fix piers, harbors, jettys, etc.
Thanx for the Manx correction.
LN

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Meynell <kevin@m...> wrote:
> Hi Len,
>
> >How about the Isle of Man in the Bristol Channel, between UK and
Ireland?

> It's actually in the Irish Sea. The Bristol Channel is further south.
>
> With respect to being a (pene-)enclave or not, it's not actually
part of
> the UK. Its official status is that of a self-governing Crown
Dependency,