Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: China-Vietnam
Date: Jun 02, 2003 @ 17:20
Author: Jesper Nielsen ("Jesper Nielsen" <jesniel@...>)

Dear Jesper:

There had been numerous problems, including military incursions beginning in 1974 and a 1979 border war, along the China-Vietnam land boundary, despite the earlier demarcation.  Presumably, the earlier markers from the French colonial period were spaced to widely or some may have been removed or shifted.  According to the new 1999 treaty,

"Article VI.
"1.  Both sides agreed to sign an agreement to establish a joint committee for border delimitation and demarcation to be termed hereafter the Vietnam-China Joint Committee for Border Delineation and Border-marker Placement.  The Committee is charged with the tasks of delimiting the Vietnam-China boundary as stipulated in Article II of this Treaty, fixing the delineation, and erecting boundary markers.  The committee will delimit accurate boundaries on mountain ridges, in territorial waters, along median lines of watercourses or main watercourses, along median lines of channels, and in other sections of the boundary.  It also has the duty to clearly describe the form of sandbanks and stretches of land on rivers and streams along the boundary, erect border markers, and draft a protocol on the land boundary between the two countries, establish files on the details of boundary markers, draw detailed maps giving the direction of the boundary and position of border markers, while resolving outstanding problems arising from these tasks.
"2.  Immediately after the protocol on the land boundary between the two countries, mentioned in Paragraph 1 of this Article, comes into effect, it becomes an integral part of this Treaty.  The border delimitation maps attached to the protocol will replace previously detailed maps attached to this Treaty.
"3.  The Joint Committee for Border Delineation and Border-marker Placement will start its work immediately after this Treaty comes into effect.  It will cease operation after the signing of the protocol on the land boundary between the two countries, with delimitation maps attached." (unofficial translation)

I imagine that the boundary markers will be densified (ugly word, but correct usage in English).  Boundary markers need to be maintained and occasionally replaced.  Often disputes arise on demarcated boundaries--the Taba dispute between Egypt and Israel being a famous example.  China and Vietnam are just another example.

Regards,
Dan

Daniel J. Dzurek, President
International Boundary Consultants