Subject: Re: maritime boundaries
Date: Jun 01, 2003 @ 22:43
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "acroorca2002"
<orc@o...> wrote:
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "acroorca2002"
> <orc@o...> wrote:
> > --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Brendan Whyte

> > Hydrographic Office
> > coastline. I have
> > >
> > > Brendan
> >
> > nice to see all the territorial sea underclaims in one roundup
> >
> > & weird enough to discover such territorial sea overclaims as
> > togo 30nm
> > & syria 35nm
> >
> > but positively freaky to see the 200nm territorial sea claims
by
> > benin congo ecuador elsalvador liberia nicaragua peru
> somalia
> > yikes
> > what gives
> > are these jokers for real
> > or did someone just misfile the data
> > or is this just the third world equivalent of claiming the north
> pole
>
> yes its true & no mistake
> all 10 abovementioned territorial sea claims are for real per
> http://www.un.org/Depts/los/LEGISLATIONANDTREATIES
> or in other words thats straight from the apparent horses
mouth
> which even adds to them
> panama & uruguay at 200nm
> & angola at 20nm
> as well as the philippine rectangular zone
> which is likewise a territorial sea overclaim
> tho just of a different sort
>
> & what an eye opener for me to see here the united nations
itself
> reiterating & thus effectively promulgating all these claims even
> tho they are apparently in violation of the very united nations
law
> of the sea convention that the site services
>
> so then maybe all these overclaimants arent just claiming the
> moon or the north pole etc after all
>
> but then what really are they getting away with appropriating to
> themselves
> if anything
> beyond the 12nm legal limits set by unlos
>
> hmm
> just occurred to me
> could it be that they are all nonsignatories to the treaty
> & so their outlandishly excessive claims are allowed to stand
>
> yet the persistent 200nm figure couldnt just have been
> accidental either
> but must have been influenced by the unlos standard of
200nm
> eezs
> or how else could they all have parodied it so well in unison
>
> well anyway that all is quite shocking & confusing so far
> & it may well be ok for the united nations
> but it represents an extreme exaction upon everyones land & a
> flagrant disregard for everyonese sovereignty & dignity
> which the unlos treaty at least establishes & reserves for us all
> & i am glad we finally at least know of all these deviant
behaviors
> whatever their ultimate meaning or consequence
> all of which i am continuing to study
> so rest easy but lets keep our eyes open for any explanations
too

& have no care
for the usa is here to save the day for everyones land with
http://www.law.fsu.edu/library/collection/LimitsinSeas/ls112.pdf
monitoring all excessive claims & promoting their rollback to the
legal maximum
on behalf of what it calls the international community
so i suppose thats us too

& just to correct my own false impression expressed above
insofar as some of these 200nm claims date back to the 1950s
any emulation or borrowing of this number
could not have been from unlos
but only by unlos