Subject: Re: FW: [BoundaryPoint] CAUS border story - Pembina, North Dakota sector
Date: Jun 01, 2003 @ 14:12
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

jack

> We drove up an
> old road which
> runs N from Pembina between the Interstate and the river. That
road runs
> close to the
> railroad grade and stops at the Canadian border. I don't
remember any
> tracks so the
> railroad must have been abandoned earlier.
>
> At the end of the road this marker (see pic. attached) was right
in front of
> us about 700
> ft. E of the interstate. Marker #831 is W of the interstate. The
map shows
> an
> un-numbered marker at the I29 crossing and also the one we
found at the end
> of the old
> road.

based on the coords given by the ibc at
http://www.internationalboundarycommission.org/coordinates/S
ECT-M-83.txt
the unnumbered marker shown on the topo at the interstate 29
crossing no longer exists
but is referred to simply as the site of monument 832

& the one you found at the road end is evidently 832a
if it was just west of the road end as depicted on the topo
or perhaps 832b
if it was just east of the road end as not depicted
since this pair stand or stood only 110 feet apart

there is also a monument 832 63 so called
which may mean it replaced monument 832 in 1963
in the middle of the interstate median divider
perhaps at the time of the highway improvement

> The other picture is at the ND lowpoint on the Red River. At the
middle of
> the river even
> with where we are standing is also the Manitoba-MN-ND
international
> tri-point.
>
> Nobody checked on us while we were wandering around that
area. There was a
> cleared
> no-mans strip between the field in ND and the one in Manitoba
until you
> reach the wooded
> flood plain area close to the river. No markers in evidence
between the one
> pictured and
> the river.

i guess dry ndl must fluctuate quite a bit
with that wild & crazy red river

& absolute ndl aka mbmnnd at the thalweg
must be hard to make even in a drought
without being carried by the current illegally into canada