Subject: FW: [BoundaryPoint] CAUS border story - Pembina, North Dakota sector
Date: Jun 01, 2003 @ 01:59
Author: jparsell ("jparsell" <jparsell@northnet.org>)

Doug's posting of the story from the Winnipeg Free Press, reminded me of Aug 1988
when Clark Hall and I were at this border location. Our objective was the low point of ND
which is where the Red River runs into Canada.  Everything was more relaxed at that
time, but we did stop in Pembina and checked in at the immigration office and asked
them to call the Border Patrol at the I29 border station.  We drove up and old road which
runs N from Pembina between the Interstate and the river. That road runs close to the
railroad grade and stops at the Canadian border.  I don't remember any tracks so the
railroad must have been abandoned earlier.

At the end of the road this marker (see pic. attached) was right in front of us about 700
ft. E of the interstate.  Marker #831 is W of the interstate.  The map shows an
un-numbered marker at the I29  crossing and also the one we found at the end of the old
road.  Over in MN is marker #833 which is on the edge of the attached map.

The other picture is at the ND lowpoint on the Red River. At the middle of the river even
with where we are standing is also the Manitoba-MN-ND international tri-point.

Nobody checked on us while we were wandering around that area.  There was a cleared
no-mans strip between the field in ND and the one in Manitoba until you reach the wooded
flood plain area close to the river.  No markers in evidence between the one pictured and
the river.

Jack