Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] mbsk
Date: May 31, 2003 @ 04:14
Author: Doug Murray (Doug Murray <doug@dougmurrayproductions.com>)

I'm sure that that is the case -- that they appear at each turning
point.

Having grown up in Manitoba, I noticed that highways (minor ones) would
also take similar jogs. I always thought that this had something to do
with
the curvature of the earth. Hey, I was just a kid!

Check out Map #2 (its a pdf) from this site:
http://www.gov.mb.ca/tgs/map/

Notice that many of the highways south-west of Winnipeg have little
jogs?

I wonder... I wonder...

On Friday, May 30, 2003, at 07:09 PM, acroorca2002 wrote:

> ahh then doug you have placed your grandparents right next to
> one of the most mysterious lines on the face of the earth
>
> the crazy stairstepping mbsk line
>
> you can even see one of its stairsteps in your map link
> right behind the house
>
> & nobody knows why the federal government circa 1890 caused
> this boundary to stagger its way north in such a peculiar way with
> dozens of little jogs like yours
> yet at highly irregular intervals
>
> it is as if the survey crew just went off on a bender every so often
>
> yet always in the same erratic direction
>
> & not even the provincial surveyors societies have a clue about it
>
> sure would like to know if anyone can figure that one out tho
>
> but to come to the point of your question
> i dont doubt there must be a bunch of these monuments all up &
> down the line
> but particularly at all the stairstep turnpoints
>
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Doug Murray
> <doug@d...> wrote:
> >
> > Great Pics, Mike.
> >
> > The pinkish one looks exactly like the marker I remember from
> near my
> > grandparents farm.
> >
> > That marker was located on Thunderhill.  The MB-SK border
> ran over the
> > "mountain."
> >
> > Thunderhill is located just north of Highway 49 which runs from
> Arran,
> > Saskatchewan to Benito, Manitoba.
> > (My Grandparents lived in the village of Kenville, MB).
> >
> > A map is here:
> http://www.becquet.com/director/maps/Pelly.htm
> >
> > I wonder if its the same one?  Or if there are a bunch of them
> all up
> > and down the line?
> >
> > Doug
> >

> > On Friday, May 30, 2003, at 04:55  PM, Michael Kaufman wrote:
> >
> > > Doug -
> > > Not sure where I found these, but ran across them
> > > awhile back...
> > > -Mike
> > >
> > > --- Doug Murray <doug@d...>

> > > name=bidlogo.jpg