Subject: Re: mbsk
Date: May 31, 2003 @ 15:45
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

yes indeed the curvature of the earth wreaks havoc with the grids

& we have similar corrections all over the usa
only they are smaller & fewer here because of our lower latitudes

but i am staggered to have learned in the meantime the true
cause of the staggersteps
thanx to the same association of manitoba land surveyors
who were professing total ignorance as recently as last year

from their
http://www.amls.ca
site comes the following new data

the original manitoba of 1873 was so small it was called the
postage stamp province
& a campaign to expand its bounds continued thru the 1870s

a first minor adjustment
which took into account the township lines in the realignment of
the western boundary
was granted in 1877

the change occurred after the land survey was completed
when it was discovered that the original border actually
dissected farm holdings in the margins of the province

the new boundary was moved a few miles west to the nearest
township lines
& this accounts for the jagged appearance of the western border
of the province

well at least this is the beginning of an explanation
but it really only accounts for the first few stairsteps north of caus
within the original mb postage stamp
which occupied just the lower left 16th of mb today

later mb additions & mbsk survey continuations created more
stairsteps well into the 20th century
presumably by the same process
all the way north even beyond flin flon
til they finally stopped when the 102nd meridian was reached
at about or exactly the 56th parallel

i guess by then the border delineation & demarcation had
outdistanced the township creation in northward progression

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Doug Murray
<doug@d...> wrote:

> I'm sure that that is the case -- that they appear at each turning
> point.
>
> Having grown up in Manitoba, I noticed that highways (minor
ones) would
> also take similar jogs. I always thought that this had
something to do
> with
> the curvature of the earth. Hey, I was just a kid!
>
> Check out Map #2 (its a pdf) from this site:
> http://www.gov.mb.ca/tgs/map/
>
> Notice that many of the highways south-west of Winnipeg have
little
> jogs?
>
> I wonder... I wonder...
>

> On Friday, May 30, 2003, at 07:09 PM, acroorca2002 wrote:
>
> > ahh then doug you have placed your grandparents right next
> > one of the most mysterious lines on the face of the earth
> >
> > the crazy stairstepping mbsk line
> >
> > you can even see one of its stairsteps in your map link
> > right behind the house
> >
> > & nobody knows why the federal government circa 1890
caused
> > this boundary to stagger its way north in such a peculiar way
with
> > dozens of little jogs like yours
> > yet at highly irregular intervals
> >
> > it is as if the survey crew just went off on a bender every so
often

> > yet always in the same erratic direction
> >
> > & not even the provincial surveyors societies have a clue
about it

> > sure would like to know if anyone can figure that one out tho
> >
> > but to come to the point of your question
> > i dont doubt there must be a bunch of these monuments all
up &
> > down the line
> > but particularly at all the stairstep turnpoints
> >
> > --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Doug Murray
> > <doug@d...> wrote:
> > >
> > > Great Pics, Mike.
> > >
> > > The pinkish one looks exactly like the marker I remember
from
> > near my
> > > grandparents farm.
> > >
> > > That marker was located on Thunderhill.  The MB-SK
border
> > ran over the
> > > "mountain."
> > >
> > > Thunderhill is located just north of Highway 49 which runs
from
> > Arran,
> > > Saskatchewan to Benito, Manitoba.
> > > (My Grandparents lived in the village of Kenville, MB).
> > >
> > > A map is here:
> > http://www.becquet.com/director/maps/Pelly.htm
> > >
> > > I wonder if its the same one?  Or if there are a bunch of
them
> > all up
> > > and down the line?
> > >
> > > Doug