Subject: Re: ctri dispute
Date: May 25, 2003 @ 17:26
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

nice one asher

> Mr. Majeika has made a crusade of uncovering boundary
> markers to determine the true line between Connecticut and
> Rhode Island, although in some cases, the markers are just
> adding to the mystery. One resides right next to a busy
> strip of Route 216. It is an unmarked stone tablet, leaning
> like the Tower of Pisa in its spot. Then earlier this
> month, a resident on Route 216 called Mr. Majeika to report
> the discovery of yet another, newer marker, across the
> street from the first one. A few days later, Mr. Majeika
> stood over his newest discovery, wiping away years of
> compacted soil and debris to unearth "CHO Baseline."
>
> "I have no idea what that means," he said, estimating that
> the marker is from the 1940's. "Who would put a baseline
> marker here, when 100 feet away we have a boundary marker?
> I have to figure out where this fits in the puzzle."

sounds like try pointing at its best
yet for presumably practical purposes
yikes

> One marker, a 4-foot-high granite tablet, looks to be from
> a Connecticut-Rhode Island land survey taken in 1840. That
> survey was ratified by the legislatures of both states. The
> other, which lies about 60 feet from the 1840's tablet, is
> a smaller stone marker. It is stamped with the words "U.S.
> Coast & Geodetic Survey and State Survey." That marker, Mr.
> Majeika said he believed, is the result of a 1940 survey
> done by Connecticut and Rhode Island, but interrupted by
> World War II. As a result, the survey was never ratified by
> either state's legislature.
>
> Rhode Island has long honored the 1940 survey, which relied
> on the latest in surveying technology. Connecticut honors
> the 1840 survey, what Ms. Elias called "the last ratified
> survey." Therein lies the first problem.

this discrepancy occurs up & down the full length of ctri
& is particularly aggravated around ctmari
where the humble & bogus 1940 marker has sometimes even
been mistaken by try pointers for the true tripoint position
albeit in the very shadow of the elegant ctmari obelisk
that has actually monumented the real tripoint uninterruptedly
since the 1880s

> Rhode Island, already
> the smallest state in the nation, doesn't want to get any
> smaller.

hahahaha

> The compromise: New York gained access to the Housatonic
> River through a pass of the Ten Mile River at Dover, N.Y.
> Connecticut acquired an eight-mile wide strip. It grew to
> become Connecticut's so-called "Gold Coast" in Fairfield
> County one of the most affluent areas of the United States.

ahh but those connecticuties were only at it again here too
for the alleged access is solid white water hahaha including
several major cataracts at bulls bridge hahahaha
just down the way from cream hill here actually

> Pennsylvanians did not welcome the Connecticut settlers.

hahaha
no kinetic connecticut etiquette wanted there eh