Subject: Re: ctri dispute
Date: May 26, 2003 @ 13:54
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

> > Mr. Majeika has made a crusade of uncovering boundary
> > markers to determine the true line between Connecticut and
> > Rhode Island, although in some cases, the markers are just
> > adding to the mystery. One resides right next to a busy
> > strip of Route 216. It is an unmarked stone tablet, leaning
> > like the Tower of Pisa in its spot. Then earlier this
> > month, a resident on Route 216 called Mr. Majeika to report
> > the discovery of yet another, newer marker, across the
> > street from the first one. A few days later, Mr. Majeika
> > stood over his newest discovery, wiping away years of
> > compacted soil and debris to unearth "CHO Baseline."
> >
> > "I have no idea what that means," he said, estimating that
> > the marker is from the 1940's. "Who would put a baseline
> > marker here, when 100 feet away we have a boundary
marker?
> > I have to figure out where this fits in the puzzle."
>
> sounds like try pointing at its best
> yet for presumably practical purposes
> yikes

but here is the solution to mr majeikas puzzle anyway i believe

his supposed cho baseline marker
is not a state line marker at all
nor even really a cho anything
but simply a misapprehension

such things happen all the time in try pointing

instead
the position of this marker near the shoulder of a connecticut
state highway
& its approximate vintage as well as its humble stature
all together
pretty well identify it as one of those ubiquitous connecticut state
highway department right of way markers that intermittently
distinguish the public from the private domain at statutorially
fixed distances from both shoulders of every numbered state
highway in connecticut

i even used to have such a rock in my front yard when i lived on
route 128 in west cornwall village

except it said chd
for connecticut highway department
& not cho
an easy confusion to make when these letters are in full caps
aha
which may well have been what actually happened to mr majeika
owing probably to all that compacted soil & debris obscuring it

so i think all he really has here is a red herring puzzle
tho the baseline rock could still be standing on the state line
yikes
but just as likely not exactly
& could still be marking the point where the chd baseline actually
terminates
but just as likely not exactly
to further confound his try

but that is often how it goes in this game