Subject: Re: Entirely geodetic?
Date: May 22, 2003 @ 07:25
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

ahh len is back already
hahaha
no longer so sure it is moot
& raring for more confusion
well great

but of course it really is moot & always was
& nothing of any consequence hinges on any of these questions

except perhaps the title of worlds shortest international border

so lets at least not have any confusion or illusions about what if
anything we were or still are trying to find

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "L. A. Nadybal"
<lnadybal@c...> wrote:
> How do you define "entirely geodetic"?

this is just my shorthand or code for something that was
discussed at much greater length previously

what i mean by a boundary that is entirely geodetic or geodesic
is one that incorporates & follows no natural features such as
streams or drainage divides etc but is legally defined only as a
series of straight lines or arcs connecting a known series of
points with known geocoordinates &or markers to identify them

> Does that mean land border or does land under water count?

it means land border but land under water counts equally

wetness &or dryness doesnt actually affect a border or its length

> I thought Brendan completely answered the question of at
least the
> shortest land border by naming the area of the smalles of the
> Indo/Bangla detachments....

he certainly made a great try & preliminary evaluation
but he hasnt yet begun to address the question as framed
& i think he at least realizes that

area & perimeter have no necessary relationship to each other

moreover areas with borders incorporating any nongeodetic
elements have expressly been excluded from consideration
for reasons also already discussed
even if it would be nice to eventually determine which is the
arguably shortest in the world of that type too

indeed from all i have heard so far i am still inclined to believe at
this point that there is still a good chance that most if not all the
cooch behar candidates will ultimately disqualify themselves
from the main event just by proving on closer examination not to
be completely geodetic

> if an enclave has a given area, one can
> calculate it's maximum border length, and that's it - that's the
worst
> case scenario that something else has to beat.

no thats not what i am ultimately looking for
& yes one can do that & i even did just that in order to try to round
up & isolate the potential candidates

but i am not trying to beat maximum possible border length

only trying to determine & compare actual border lengths
to learn which one is actually shortest

> Shape doesn't matter
> (unless, I guess, we get into the philosophical "infinite
> indefatigable indeterminable fractals". Then, as Mr. Rumsfeld
like to
> say, "it's not knowable"). Or?

in this case it may or may not already be knowable

it just depends on what is actually known
& i am still trying to determine that