Subject: Re: Ellis Island and Baarle
Date: May 21, 2003 @ 01:49
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Brendan Whyte
<bwhyte@u...> wrote:
> Ellis Island:
>
> thousandths of a foot? Is this the US going metric without
going metric? I
> don't think I've ever seen ruler with 10ths of an inch (only 8ths
and
> 16ths), let alone 1000ths.
>
> Do you have coords for these points Michael? Where did they
come from?

this is the supreme court granting its decree on 17may1999
upon the final report of the special master in the njny case
which it had decided the previous year as 526us589
all very probably influenced by the gis technology that was used

so i dont think you will necessarily find any decimal foot rulers
tho i should tell you decimal inch rulers have long been
commonplace in the usa

anyway in this case
a starting point was given in both metric coords & degminsecdec
to wit nad83 nlat 40d41m54s92285 & wlong 74d02m23s75137
& note the hundred thousandths of a second here

then a sequence of 182 loxodromes in degminsec & tenths only
or at least i think they are proper loxodromes
with the lengths of each being given in feet & thousandths only
thus the first being n42d10m59s1w
for 61 feet & 150 thousandths
& the second being n45d24m54s6w
for 60 feet & 990 thousandths
etc etc etc
til supposedly returning punctiliously to the same starting point
as indicated also on the blueprint map accompanying the text

it might be fun to check the math tho
for the composite inaccuracy if any

more below

> Baarle:
>
> >happily it appears to be another tossup between 2
candidates
> >both looking in this case like about 220 meters
> >
> >these can be seen in
> >http://ontology.buffalo.edu/smith//baarle/baarlemap.html
> >as the irregular pink polygon at upper left near the name
loveren
> >& the white quadrilateral 2 scrolls down between k12 & k13
>
> At one time I posted a map of Baarle labelling the enclaves N1
ot N8 and H1
> to H22. The Louvren enclave of Belgium is H7. It is the
smallest in area
> (2469sq metres, or 0.2469ha). The next smallest in area is
H22, the enclave
> formed in 1995 in the far west of the commune of
Baarle-Nassau, from
> one-third of a field (not shown on the map you linked to). H22
is 0.2632ha.
> Perimetrically, the order swaps. H7 has a perimeter of 214m,
but H22 has a
> smaller perimeter (because it's almost square, not irregular) of
209m.
> These figures are taken direct from the 1995 minute which
delimited the
> enclaves to the nearest cm, and their areas and perimeters to
the nearest
> (sq) metre.
>
> The military map of Baarle, on Barry Smith's site that you linked
to is a
> standard topo map of Baarle, drawn by the Belgian IGM=Institut
Geographique
> Militaire. This has since been renamed the IGN=Inst. Geog.
National. This
> particular IGM map dates from the 1960s I believe, when the
exact number
> and boundaries of the enclaves were unknown. It is only since
1995 that we
> have a formal delimitation and can say how many enclaves
there are, how
> large, and what their perimeters are. Because of this, the small
enclave SW
> of the word 'mast' between K12 and K13 is fictitious. I spoke
with someone
> at Baarle (I forget who: probably a chap at the Cadastre in
Breda), who
> agreed it was an error on the map (just as the current Dutch
topo maps of
> Baarle are incorrect too, misplacing H22 for example).
>
> So, the smallest enclave at Baarle has a 209m perimeter, and
is H22, the
> new one in the far west.

wonderful
thank you
so this is the boundary length to beat
at cooch behar
or around bwnazmzw if it is ever settled
or anywhere that it can be beat

> As for Cooch Behar, there are enclaves there as small as
0.27acres.

ok
this smallest cooch behar clave is thus probably the smallest
international clave in the whole world too then
or wouldnt you agree

but more below

> As
> there are 2.47 acres per ha, this gives it an area of 0.1093ha,
or 1093sq
> metres. I have no idea of its true shape, but if square, it would
have
> sides of 33m, and a perimeters of 4x33m=132m. It is probably
not square,
> but will not be highly irregular either, as the edges of the
enclaves
> mostly follow rice paddy bunds (known locally as 'ails': see my
thesis),
> which are generally rectangular in shape.

if we can confirm completely geodetic bounds for this baby
&or for any of its near sizemates
then i think we probably do have the basis for proceeding further
toward either proclaiming it outright
or selecting the most promising single or several candidates for
shortest border in the world

but its or their perimeters would all have to be individually
measured or computed
since area & perimeter can be out of all proportion to each other

for the time being
i agree we have about an 8 to 5 shot on cooch behar to win
but i believe this still is & will remain a horse race
until all the details are known

which practically forces me to ask you brendan
do you think you even can nail the necessary final data down
for purposes of definitely answering the question

or are these details likely to remain as murky & imponderable as
the already outstanding question about the suspected second
cooch behar border cross

both are fairly lively & worthy questions in my opinion
if you can think of how any more progress can be made on them