Subject: Re: shortest international border in the world
Date: May 20, 2003 @ 15:45
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

thanx for the tries len
but why do you think so

you &or brendan may well know some hard facts i need
but i settled on baarle first because it is substantially urban
while cooch behar is substantially rural
so even tho in densest asia as well as more numerous
the smallest bengali farmsteads still mightnt be so small as the
smallest house lots in downtown baarle

but besides that
the bengali claves are notoriously fractal too
reportedly often involving streams etc

so for both reasons
i dont see a great likelihood of a real winner of under 220 meters
geodetic in cooch behar
not at first glance anyway
tho perhaps an asterisk taker

but anyway you are certainly right that such a major probability
needs to be actually exhausted rather than just blown off
& brendan probably does know at least all the hectarages
even if not all the other necessary particulars
so he & we might know at a glance whether there even is a
serious candidate to detain ourselves over in cooch behar
before proceeding to compare the baarle candidates
which i think is where i am still headed anyway
tho there is always room for course correction if warranted

also maybe brendan will get back to us at the same time about
his ongoing investigation into whether there is or isnt a second
border cross in cooch behar too

the erstwhile cis farm boundary
if that is the one you mean
is presumably out of date
whatever its length may have been

& the gibraltar example is like penon de velez de la gomera
only longer

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "L. A. Nadybal"
<lnadybal@c...> wrote:
> I think if you check with Brendan, he'll find Bangladesh
enclaves so
> small that the border around them will beat the border around
any
> little piece of Baarle that you might find.
>
> There was also the little border around a piece of property in
one of
> the CIS states we found (have a map somewhere), and then
there's the

<orc@o...> wrote:
> > we have already nominated the narrow neck between
morocco &
> > spain at penon de velez de la gomera
> > worlds shortest international dry boundary
> > & have even made plans to dig it up & reduce it to the
vanishing
> > point at high tide
> > just for the fun of it
> >
> > however the esmo border there presumably already
continues
> > out to sea delimiting miles of territorial waters in both
directions

> > so the border there is only the landlubbers shortest rather
than
> > the actual shortest border in the world
> >

> > the search for the actual shortest tho has led me to baarle
> >
> > happily it appears to be another tossup between 2
candidates