Subject: Re: new ellis boundary was finalized in 1999
Date: May 15, 2003 @ 03:14
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "S.D. Rhodes"
<rhodent@i...> wrote:
> >> There is ALWAYS some possible objection. :-)
> >>
> >> In this case, I'm certain some would argue that DCVA
deserves
> >> consideration, even though DC isn't technically a state.
>
> >but i would have to think you meant to nominate dcmd
>
> You would have to think wrong, then. :-)

hahaaah
good one

> I was only pointing out what people could argue

hahaha
indeed there is no limit to what people could argue
haha

hahahahaha

> (I don't buy DCVA or
> DCMD in any case...more on this in a second), and since not
everyone
> accepts the fractal argument, that doesn't stop anyone from
arguing
> DCVA.

yes but first they have to clear the hurdles raised by njny liberty
the apparently shorter shortest fractal boundary candidate
as well as by all their other equally infinite fractal classmates
before actually winning that coveted & elusive asterisk

the argument would go
dcva from dcmdvan to dcmdvas represents a crow fly of about 12
miles & a minimum fish swim of perhaps 15
but njny liberty represents a minimum mud walk or
perambulation of only about 5 miles
or perhaps better & worse yet
a minimum fish swim or circumnavigation along straight coastal
baselines of perhaps as little as 2 miles
if anyone really wanted to play so fast & loose with the truth

> The reason I don't buy DCVA or DCMD is because neither is
the boundary
> between two states.

good good good
yes yes yes
simplicity is best
thank you

> If we can accept them, then what exactly are we
> trying to find?

precisely
lets at least be faithful to the question actually asked
& especially to whatever our try actually is

> To my way of thinking, allowing those opens the door
> for any boundary between a U.S. state and something else, in
which case
> we have to look at such things as NH/Quebec, NM/Sonoma,
TX/Nuevo Leon,
> and so forth.

exactly agreed
& yikes it might still be the shortest state line in america
even if it was somewhere in uruguay

also
once you mentioned dc
& having no intention of going anywhere near an international
border
i did begin to wonder if the nhus maritime boundary lying just off
the diminutive coast of new hampshire between menhus &
manhus mightnt be a winner too
or the minuscule prvi maritime boundary in the caribbean

so it is easy to go nuts without even leaving the united states