Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] NYNJ - My take
Date: May 14, 2003 @ 03:01
Author: Flynn, Kevin ("Flynn, Kevin" <flynnk@...>)

I disagree only to the point that you belive treaty writers might use
different terms to mean the same things; my experience is precisely the
opposite. They only use different terms precisely when they intend to denote
different things. The definitions in a statute, document or treaty are sharp
and clear. The exclusive right of jurisdiction by NY over some of the same
physical territory that is clearly also defined as part of the exclusive
right of property on the part of NJ sets up a strange situation that can't
be answered by just saying,"well it's NY" or even "Well, it's NJ." The
surface of the Hudson River, for example, west of the middle line (the
stated state boundary) is subsequently stated as being under NY
jurisdiction. Therefore, they muyst mean different things. Otherwise, your
position is that the surface of the river west of the boundary is both NY
state and NJ state.