Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] NYNJ - My take
Date: May 13, 2003 @ 05:30
Author: Flynn, Kevin ("Flynn, Kevin" <flynnk@...>)

I agree with your characterizations of the discussion, and btw, I am not
wedded to a position on the issue; that's why I am discussing it, because I
am ultimately confused over the status. It makes no sense to me that there
would be a boundary down the center of the river/bay, with everything west
of it NJ although NY has exclusive right of jurisdiction over the waters up
to the wharves and docks on the NJ shoreline; yet the same language is used
regarding Ellis and Bedloes (exclusive right of jurisdiction; and note the
compact didn't say NY had exclusive right of "property," the term which is
used for its actual territory *east* of the center line boundary). Nothing
that's been said yet excludes the possibility that Ellis and Bedloes -- and
for that matter the waters west of the boundary line that are indisputably
in NJ -- are simply NJ lands over which NY nevertheless by custom and
practice has been ceded the "exclusive right of juridsiction" as opposed to
being actual corporate parts of the sovereign state of NY.

And also BTW, being in journalism, I would hesitate to say that becasue a
magazine article makes an assertion, that it is unassailable! I've seen how
the process works!