Subject: Re: Shortest broken part of a shared state boundary
Date: May 11, 2003 @ 06:02
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

if the shortest dry state line segment is what is wanted
it is northernmost njpa on the njnypa monument at flood stage
as pictured here at bp not many months ago
when this visible line is measurable in inches rather than feet
& then centimeters
& finally just 1 third of the dot of njnypa itself
before becoming submerged

of course nypa & njny there are close runners up

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "L. A. Nadybal"
<lnadybal@c...> wrote:
> Maybe there's no answer to this for a very different reason than
> fractal infinity.... on the Mississipi, there are many dozends of
> stretches where the boundary is federally, offically
"undetermined"...
> and some maps I've got, show little stretches, looking like no
more
> than 100 yards or so, where a line is a "determined" border
based on
> the line style used, but "surrounded" on both ends by
undetermined

<rhodent@i...> wrote:
> > >Now let's see if there is an answer, fractal, molecular,
> > >whatever, for the shortest <portion> of a shared state
boundary.
> > >Is it NC-VA near Mackay Island?
> >
> > No. That's about a mile and a half. There are numerous
river borders
> > where short stretches of land are in the "wrong" state for
various
> > reasons, and many of these are extremyl short. One
example I found is
> > on the Delaware-New Jersey border, a bit south of where the
Chesapeake