Subject: Re: Shortest broken part of a shared state boundary
Date: May 11, 2003 @ 15:05
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "S.D. Rhodes"
<rhodent@i...> wrote:
> >Now let's see if there is an answer, fractal, molecular,
> >whatever, for the shortest <portion> of a shared state
boundary.
> >Is it NC-VA near Mackay Island?
>
> No. That's about a mile and a half. There are numerous river
borders
> where short stretches of land are in the "wrong" state for
various
> reasons, and many of these are extremyl short. One example I
found is
> on the Delaware-New Jersey border, a bit south of where the
Chesapeake
> and Delaware Canal enters the Delaware River. There, you'll
find a
> border fragment which is less than a quarter mile. It wouldn't
> surprise in the least to find shorter ones exist.
>

> ---
> "If you hate dissent, then get out of the United States."
> -Michael Wilbon

welcome rhodent nice handle
& thanx for the clear analysis & great example
well worth beaming up
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4371971&e=45364
6&s=50&symshow=n
in the event craig only meant the smallest such example still
macroscopic enough to appear both on a map & on the ground

with a boundary monument included

&or necessarily having water always horizontally on both sides

but never completely vanishing in it

& also in case only salty waters need apply
or only those not attached to tripoints
etc
etc

but your example is striking enough in its own right
& also happens to be a favorite place of mine

the curiously sloppy try by the usgs mapmakers to cut this tail off
with a necessarily & legally clean arc line
is a glaring error
since the messy slash you see on this map is after all & in reality
1 of the 3 lost or stray arcs of the great supposedly singular
12mile radius depa boundary
& incidently one of 2 practically invisible geodetic sectors of denj
the other being attached to demdpa

but with the similarly weird & hidden classmate on demd btw

so my visit here 6 or 8 years ago to this nuclear waste dump
which was accomplished by sneaking right past & practically
thru the sizzling crackling steaming nuke plant that produced it
must be a highlite of my pointing career

i recognized it for a nuke ok but just didnt realize it was a dump til
i saw the map much later
dohh
but i light up as well as homer simpson ever since