Subject: Re: NYNJ - Here: official postal marking
Date: May 10, 2003 @ 14:12
Author: L. A. Nadybal ("L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

Arif's subject "NYNJ" reminded me that, when the US Postal Service
issues stamps, its first days of issue ceremonies usually are a day in
advance of nationwide sale at one designated post office. The "first
day post office's normal cancellation device is changed to read on
that day "First Day of Issue" and is used to cancel all mail bearing
the newly issued stamp(s). Ellis Island has been such a site since
the 1960s at least, and the official, federal government cancellation
device from the temporary post offices opened on the island for these
occasions reads "Ellis Island - NY/NJ".

For what it's worth.

LN