Subject: Re: world class coastal boundary roundup
Date: Dec 17, 2002 @ 22:08
Author: Grant Hutchison <granthutchison@blueyond ("Grant Hutchison <granthutchison@...>" <granthutchison@...>)

> http://www.70south.com/resources/islands/deception2.jpg

> this evidently real pic was taken in a real but unbelievable place
> actually called deception island
> in the formerly british but now everyonese south shetlands
Been there, done that. It's more believable if you know that the
water and sand are heated by volcanic activity - you have to be
careful not to boil a foot along that section of beach. Behind the
group, to the left of the picture, are the ruins of a Chilean base
that was hit by a pyroclastic flow in the (I think) 1960s,
fortunately after the personnel had been evacuated - an amazing
wreckage of twisted girders. Farther up the beach, behind the
photographer, is a British base similarly abandoned.

Grant