Subject: Re: Really Arbitrary Points
Date: Jul 07, 2001 @ 20:59
Author: bjbutler@bjbsoftware.com (bjbutler@...)

David, how do you define "vertical"? Surely not gravitationally
because variations in rock density, elevation, and even geometrical
latitude would produce "lines" of latitude that were iso-vertical
contours. I thought geocoordinates were expressed as angles within
an ellipsoid (i.e. a datum), a better approximation of the earth's
shape but still a mathematically regular object. I don't know if
these data contain local corrections.

BJB