Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] NMOKTX Question
Date: Jun 17, 2001 @ 13:01
Author: David Mark (David Mark <dmark@...>)

BJButler's reference to message 2764 explains why there is a question.
From Michael Donner's message of June 9:

> btw
> neglected to mention at the time
> but we hit nmoktx last week using jacks book
> & it turns out our previous try at it was wrong
>
> so that wonderful picture of jc with her tongue pointing
> at the old corner corner site
> must join the half dozen other pseudopoints there if it still exists
> mostly of my own creation
>
> the funny part is that we needlessly braved jumping barbed wire & hot
> pursuit by a herd of cattle for that one
> while jacks correct nmoktx point is just an easy roadside picnic stop

But from my experience, my map reading, and Jack's message below, it seems
to me that both JC and I were really at the true tri-state point, so
perhaps the "easy roadside picnic stop" is the "ersatz" one.

I have a theory: Perhaps Michael got confused by the nice big roadside
monument along the paved US Highways 56/64, "Clark's Monument", which
parks the northwest corner of the Texas panpandle. See
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=13&n=4041018&e=675437&s=25&size=s
This is a corner of Texas, but not a tri-state point.

I am still confident that the cylidrical monument 2.3 miles east, at which
JC and I were (separately) photographed, is at or very close to the true
tri-state point.

David