Subject: Re: NMOKTX Question
Date: Jun 17, 2001 @ 15:26
Author: bjbutler@bjbsoftware.com (bjbutler@...)

It does sound like Mike's recent visit was to some other marker.
Having not been there yet, I could not reconcile his report with the
map and/or David/Jack's reports without your input. Thanks.

BJB

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., David Mark <dmark@g...> wrote:

> BJButler's reference to message 2764 explains why there is a
question.
> From Michael Donner's message of June 9:
>
> > btw
> > neglected to mention at the time
> > but we hit nmoktx last week using jacks book
> > & it turns out our previous try at it was wrong
> >
> > so that wonderful picture of jc with her tongue pointing
> > at the old corner corner site
> > must join the half dozen other pseudopoints there if it still
exists
> > mostly of my own creation
> >
> > the funny part is that we needlessly braved jumping barbed wire &
hot
> > pursuit by a herd of cattle for that one
> > while jacks correct nmoktx point is just an easy roadside picnic
stop

> But from my experience, my map reading, and Jack's message below,
it seems
> to me that both JC and I were really at the true tri-state point, so
> perhaps the "easy roadside picnic stop" is the "ersatz" one.
>
> I have a theory: Perhaps Michael got confused by the nice big
roadside
> monument along the paved US Highways 56/64, "Clark's Monument",
which
> parks the northwest corner of the Texas panpandle. See
> http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=13&n=4041018&e=675437&s=25&size=s
> This is a corner of Texas, but not a tri-state point.
>
> I am still confident that the cylidrical monument 2.3 miles east,
at which
> JC and I were (separately) photographed, is at or very close to the
true
> tri-state point.
>
> David
>
> On Sat, 16 Jun 2001, Jack Parsell wrote:
>
> > David's description of his route to the monument, and the
location of the monument
> > is exactly the way we found it, so I too am perplexed by the
questioning here. I recall
> > a report of some other markers along the road and in the field to
the NW of the junction
> > of the two roads, which would put them in NM assuming thr road is
centered on the
> > NM-OK line. I'll check my files when I get home Mon night for
more info on this.
> > We are at Lake Ontario at our summer cottage now.
> > Jack

red "cross-hairs"
> > on http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?
z=13&n=4041104&e=678962&s=25&size=s
> > (See the little scanned map image on my page which appears
exactly like
> > the topozone image only smaller.)
> >
> > The road on the top photo on
> > http://www.geog.buffalo.edu/~dmark/tristate/10NMOKTX.html is
the road
> > running west from the tripoint as shown on the maps.
> >
> > So, what's with your use of the word "ersatz"?? Nothing
immitation about
> > it as far as I know!!
> >
> > David
> >
> > On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 bjbutler@b... wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe Jack, Mike, or David can answer this: Is the true
NMOKTX

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

> > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> >
> > Enter to Win!