Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] US-Mexico photos
Date: Jun 14, 2001 @ 00:46
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

The fence India is building along its 4000km Bangladesh border is 125m back
fomr the 'zero line', as an early agreement denied the use of a 250m buffer
zone for 'defensive works'. This means that Indian farmers in the
borderlands are foerced to work in their fields beyond the fence and its
gates, so that in the event of trouble, guess who can't escape? The very
people the Indians should be protecting! Further problems are met when the
boundary runs through villages, and half the villag,e the INdian part, is
left beyond the pale as it were.
So the Indians want to relocate people behind the fence to 'protect' them.
BW