Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Roetgen/Monschau enclaves
Date: Jun 11, 2001 @ 01:33
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

On the "bilder" ie pictures, page on http://www.vennbahn.de/

There is another photo 4 from the bottom of the page, looking down the road
towards the rail line at what appears to be the same crossing as in the
photo on the home page. I do not recognise it as any of the maih road
corssings I looked at. Remember that the train runs from Eupen(Belgium) to
Roetgen to Monschau to Kalterherberg (back into Belgium) Weywertz, then
either East a little to Buetgenbach, or west to Malmedy and join the main
line at Trois Points.then to Malmedy and Trois Points. The picture, if taken
at a random point along the track, has a greater probability of being in
Belgium proper rather than along the enclaving part of the line.
IF it is part of the enclaving line, then Germany will run up to the barrier
arms at the road crossing.
There would probably be a small fence or ditch between the dirt road on the
left, paralleling the rail and the railsthemselves, which would probably be
the boundary.

Unfortunately most of the other photos are of rolling stock and locos, not
of trackside scenery, road crossings etc.
There is one photo, 11th from the bottom, of the trian crossing a large
multi-arched bridge.
THAT is t the southern end of the 4th enclavew (the largest Monschau one),
and appears to be taken from the west, inside the enclave, looking east at
the Belgian bridge, and into Germany proper beyond.
The bridge crosses the Ermesbach creek, a small, but at this point, almost
engorged river.
BW