Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Roetgen/Monschau enclaves
Date: Jun 05, 2001 @ 13:12
Author: David Mark (David Mark <dmark@...>)

The very thick black dashes mark the international border, correct? Which
continues between the heavy marks along the thin line.

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Brendan Whyte wrote:
> The extracts included here are of:
>
> 1) The smallest enclave, the middle one, consisting of one house and a
> couple of small pasture fields.

Just to be certain I understand, is that the image "monschau.jpg", with
the house labelled "Ruckschlag"? Border posts 756 757 758 758.

> 2) The railway station at Monschau. Note how the road, German, cuts into the
> Belgian station land.

image "monschau2.jpg"? What is the strange 'peninsula' of Belgian
territory that extends north and west of border post 675K??

There are a couple of places where it almost seems that German territory
is above Belgian territory!! As Euperner Strasse passes border post 675J,
it appears to truncate the aforementioned 'peninsula' but perhaps flies
over it. But as it flies over the railway between 675K and 674L Euperner
Strasse is in Belgian territory?

> 3)the narrow gap between the two northernmost enclaves at Roetgen, where the
> railline swings back into mainland Belgium for just a few metres before
> swinging out again.

Image "roetgen.jpg"? The exclaves are one with border posts 887 and 888
near its southern end, that extended off the scanned image to the north,
and another one with post 884 at the northern corner that extends off
image south and west?

> 4) The traffic island now on the border of belgium, inside the second of the
> two Roetgen enclaves, that used to be an enclave itself when the Germans
> owned the road south from here towards Monschau. The island is a parking
> spot with a prefab cafe. On the southern side of the road is a hotel/small
> supermarket/liquorshop.

image "roetgen2.jpg. Is the traffic island marked with a "P" in a square,
just northeast of the big "L" in Belgien"? Is it true that there is no
current exclave of either country on this image?

David