Subject: Re: Iron Curtian stories: Sidonie
Date: May 30, 2001 @ 12:32
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

It is the border crossing of road 57. Somewhere at this point, the
road to Sidonie branches off.

Somewhere to the right, but behind the photographer, the (Czech)
railway station of Vlarsky prusmyk is located (the railway runs on
the right side of the road.

The sign says:
Slovenska republika (acute on last a of Slovenska)=Slovak republic
Trenciansky kraj (caron on c)=province of Trencin (caron on c, acute
on i)

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Peter Hering" <hering@m...> wrote:
> Yes, Peter, it certainly looks like a boundary
> marker, many of them - especially the new
> ones (and this MUST be a very new one)
> are painted red on top...(my experience...)
> Have tried to locate this border crossing,
> but in vain...any help.?.
> must be between Cz and Sk - but where?
> Difficult to read the sign below "Slovenska
> Republika" , btw: Slovakia's official name
> must be one of the reasons why so many
> people can't distinguish between Slovenia
> and Slovakia...
> Best regards
> Peter H.
> (scan and some translation of border article on
> "U Sabotu" to follow later (am a bit busy...)
> Pjotr

Prusmyk)
> > just inside cz territory. The sk village on the other side of the
> > border on road 57 is Rybniky (acute on i). The main road to
Sidonie
> > runs from road 57 in a north-easterly direction through the
valley
> of
> > the little stream that used to be the boundary (and possibly
still
> > is, but that we don't know yet). First you get to a tiny hamlet
> > called Vlarka (acute on first a), then to Sidonie, which
> > administratively is a city quarter, belonging to the city of
Brumov-
> > Bylnice. The road from road 57 to the centre of Sidonie is 3,5 km
> > long, and continues another kilometre after that. Then it stops
> (some
> > dirt track continues into Slovakia, on my map). The co-ordinates
of
> > Sidonie are 18d05m east, 49d03m north (appr.).
> >
> > A picture of the border at Vlarsky prusmyk (which means Vlara
pass,
> > the Vlara (acute on first a) being the river, of which the
Sidonie