Subject: Re: U. S. Supreme Court Settles the Issue: Shipyard Is in Maine, Not New Hampshire
Date: May 30, 2001 @ 12:52
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

So, the difference with the muslim approach is:
Muslim: You tax them, so you rule the place too
US: First you rule the place, then you tax them

A difference in approach, but it all comes down to one three-letter
word...

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Bill Hanrahan" <hanrahan@k...> wrote:
> Supreme Court Settles the Issue: Shipyard Is in Maine, Not New
Hampshire

> By Ann S. Kim
> Associated Press Writer
>
> KITTERY, Maine (AP) - The U.S. Supreme Court settled a long and
bitter debate between two states Tuesday, ruling that
> the 201-year-old Portsmouth Naval Shipyard is in Maine, not New
Hampshire.

> Eight members of the court unanimously rejected New Hampshire's
claim to the shipyard, which is on a 297-acre island in
> the Piscataqua River, which divides the two New England neighbors.
>
> Sen. Olympia Snowe, R-Maine, said the ruling marked the third time
the border had been decided. The other times were
> in 1977 by the Supreme Court and in 1740 by King George II.
>
> "Three strikes and you're out," she said. "Maine and New Hampshire
should not approach the bench on this matter
> again."
>
> At stake was $4 million to $6 million in annual income taxes that
Maine collects from 1,300 New Hampshire residents who
> work at the yard. In New Hampshire, which has no personal income
tax, officials panned the decision.

> "There is abundant historical evidence that Portsmouth Harbor and
its islands, including the islands that are now home
> to the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, are part of New Hampshire," Gov.
Jeanne Shaheen said.

> Maine has long claimed the border was the middle of the Piscataqua
River, putting the shipyard squarely in Maine. New
> Hampshire contended the border was the Maine shoreline of the
river, putting it in New Hampshire.

> The court relied on a 1977 Supreme Court consent decree that
settled a lobster fishing dispute between the two states.

> "New Hampshire's claim that the Piscataqua River boundary runs
along the Maine shore is clearly inconsistent with its
> interpretation of the words 'middle of the river' during the 1970s
litigation," Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg wrote for the
> court.
>
> Justice David Souter did not participate in the decision. Souter
was New Hampshire's attorney general in the mid-1970s
> and endorsed the 1977 settlement.
>
> Maine's income tax is especially galling for married workers from
New Hampshire. They pay higher Maine income taxes if
> their spouses work, even if the spouse does not work in Maine.
That's because Maine's graduated income tax is based
> on family income, not individual income.
>
> "Let me put it this way: we're being robbed," said Victor McLean, a
shipfitter from Newington, N.H. "The wife gets nailed.

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGA7KV85CNC.html