Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Time zone boundaries
Date: May 13, 2001 @ 02:45
Author: michael donner (michael donner <m@...>)

actually the romans divided only the day & the dial into 12 hours
just as they divided the year & the zodiac into 12 months
so it is really their dozen lunations per annum that caused all this

the night they divided not into hours at all but into 4 watches or vigils

as a result of these fairly natural divisions of time
the length of an hour at summer solstice was actually about twice the
duration of the same hour at winter solstice
with some variation depending on latitude of course

& it was vice versa for the relative length of the night vigils
meaning they were much shorter in summer & much longer in winter
& almost unbearable for the 4 watchmen on a cold night

our modern minutes &or seconds
they didnt have any notion of by day or night
but only a vague concept of moments
or periods sometimes but not always briefer than hours
which they however associated more with their own subjective impulses
than with objective spans of time

& the roman model of the day & dial is still the optimum one
since neither has any moving parts
there is nothing to set nor synchronize
there is nothing but local solar time
no daylight savings needed
in fact there is almost no reason to think about or live in any time but
the eternal present

once you commit to quantifying time into hard fractions
you are enslaved
& once you get into hard edged time zones
you are really screwed

so the ideal width of a time zone
as the romans well knew
is