Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Time zone boundaries
Date: May 13, 2001 @ 03:44
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

china has only one time zone, but is the same width as the lower 48. This
causes problems during exams in Urumuchi when the locals there have to get
up in the dark when it is alrteady midmorning in Beijing, so everyone can
sit the exam simultaneously.
With 'solutions' like that, maybe we don't need time zones at all!

India is also wide with only one zone.

So given current political boundaries, probably one answer is the width of
the widest country in which you could have one time zone without distorting
things as much as CXhina or india. Say the width of brazil.

Another way to answer it ias to divide the solar day [of currently 24 hours
duration] into some sensible number. 24 is a nice number, divisible by
2,3,4,6 etc. But perhaps 25 or 20 would be more 'metric'. 100 is too much.
10 too few. 20 would be useful. 10 'hours' of daylight, 10 of night.

I would have thought the 24 hours we have now are Babylonian, long before
Roman. Given we use theuir 360 degrees in a circle, 60 minutes in an hour,
etc.

BW