Subject: Re: Time zone boundaries
Date: May 11, 2001 @ 13:46
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

I did know of one case, but then I thought of checking it in an atlas
as well...

It is not the first time here at BoundaryPoint that I ask something,
and then find the answer myself afterwards after all.

Still, nice to know it makes some of you smile. I just hope you don't
lose any sleep over it.

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., michael donner <m@d...> wrote:
> hahahaha
> first you amaze & delight us by saying you know of only one case
> keeping us up half the night marvelling at your precious rarity
>
> then you amaze & delight us again by rattling off 7 more cases
> keeping us up half the morning marvelling at your prodigious
abundance
> & proving that at boundarypoint at least
> you c a n eat your cake & have it too

> >In my US atlas (some promotional one, issued by an insurance
company,
> >but the small print say it is Rand McNally, 1997), I have found
these
> >cases where a time zone boundary cuts through a county:
> >
> >Alaska:
> >I'm not sure about the division of Alaska (is it into counties?),
but
> >part of the Aleutian islands is in the Hawaii-Aleutian TZ. The rest
> >is in the Alaska TZ.
> >
> >Florida:
> >Gulf county (Central & Eastern)
> >
> >Idaho:
> >Idaho county (Mountain & Pacific). It looks like the boundary is
the
> >Salmon river here.
> >On my map, a small north-western part of Lemhi county is also in
the
> >Pacific TZ, but this could be either a bit of inaccuracy on the
part
> >of Rand McNally, or there is simply no one living in that part. Or
> >both.
> >
> >Nebraska:
> >Cherry county (Mountain & Central)
> >
> >North Dakota:
> >McKenzie, Dunn, Morton, Sioux counties (Mountain & Central)
> >For part of the boundary through McKenzie and Dunn counties, the
> >Little Missouri river is used. Morton county is split to keep
Mandan
> >on the same time as Bismarck, or so it seems. In Sioux, it is the
> >town of Fort Yates that somehow wanted to have the same time as the
> >folks on the other side of the Missouri.
> >
> >Oregon:
> >The only county not entirely in the Pacific TZ is Malheur county
> >(Mountain TZ). But the southernmost part of it _is_ in the Pacific
> >TZ! It is the part in which my atlas places the town of McDermitt
(on
> >the California border).
> >
> >South Dakota:
> >Stanley and Jones counties (Mountain & Central)
> >
> >Texas:
> >the only parts of Texas not in Central but Mountain TZ are El Paso
> >and Hudspeth counties entirely, and the part of Culberson county
Pine
> >Springs is in. So this last county is split, time-wise.
> >
> >How are these time zone boundaries signposted in the US? "You are
now
> >entering the Eastern Time Zone"? Not unlike Berlin... ;-)
> >
> >Peter S.
> >
> >--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., michael donner <m@d...> wrote:
> >> nice hole in reality peter
> >> which i chanced to visit recently
> >> while en route from alflga to shore dinner in apalachicola
> >> but unwittingly since i am normally oblivious of time
> >>
> >> several different versions of truth are alleged
> >>
> >> besides brendans mcnallys
> >> <http://www.fla-usa.com/counties/Gulf_county.html>
> >>http://www.fla-usa.com/counties/Gulf_county.html dated 1999
> >> shows the time boundary leaving within central zone most of the
> >community
> >> of overstreet as well as the unlabelled area to its east possibly
> >named
> >> dalkeith
> >> but leaving white city & beacon hill entirely within eastern time
> >>
> >> & my 1996 aaa road atlas also leaves white city & beacon hill
> >entirely eastern
> >> & dalkeith mostly eastern but differently so & overstreet
entirely
> >central
> >>
> >> & my 1980 gousha road atlas shows beacon hill & white city mostly
> >in central
> >> & overstreet & dalkeith entirely in central
> >>

> >> so until we find some official definition of the boundary
> >> which actually doesnt seem very intent on cleaving to highways
386
> >or 71
> >> & which doesnt seem to have any incorporated towns here to hug
> >either
> >> it is looking like pure guesswork & happenchance
> >>
> >> but to try to answer your most interesting & middle question
anyway
> >> none of these places has more than 1 zip code assigned to it
> >> & in fact they may all share post offices with single numbers
> >> since several come up empty
> >> so i think zippable time zoning probably isnt ready for this area
> >yet
> >> but fantastic idea anyway
> >>
> >> maybe oz is ready for zip primed time tho

> >boundary
> >N of Bay
> >little south
> >guess the