Subject: Re: gulf county
Date: May 11, 2001 @ 11:12
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@h...> wrote:
> Looking at the De Lorme Atals, the Intracoastal waterway would seem
to be
> the spot chosen for the line. It and the swamp around it isolated
the south
> of Gulf county from the north, and the southern half was connected
to the
> rest of Florida to the east by rail, while the north, though
unrailed, seems
> more in contact economically and infrastructurally with the west of
Florida.
> White city is a small town on the north side of the waterway.
> RandMcnally seems to show the waterway and the time zone are on
slightly
> different paths, and De Lorme doesn't show the time zone path, but
the
> waterway would seem a 'natural' bounsdary to follow if
> one doesn't follow the county lines, which are unatural.

I think the waterway is the most logical choice, too. Rand McNally
isn't very precise when it comes to time zone boundaries, anyway, so
I don't lend much weight to the fact that their paths are slightly
different.

> The zone heads south down the Al/Ga line, so following the
Apalachicola
> river to the sea is the natural extension of this. Obviously they
deviated
> the line to the west in the S of Gulf county to include the head of
the
> railroad from there to the rest of FLorida.
> Makes sense not tosever the railroad at one end over a distance of
a few
> miles for a time zone.
>
> Of course there's also the old joke about flights from Sydney to
Auckland:
> "Ladies and Gentlemen, we have just landed at Auckland
International
> Airport. Please set your watches back twenty years."

One of the standard Dutch jokes, told in any town A, where the
inhabitants don't like town B and its inhabitants very much: What is
yellow and goes back in time? The bus to town B! (public transport
buses are yellow in nl).

Peter S.