Subject: Re: Time zone boundaries
Date: May 11, 2001 @ 10:50
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

In my US atlas (some promotional one, issued by an insurance company,
but the small print say it is Rand McNally, 1997), I have found these
cases where a time zone boundary cuts through a county:

Alaska:
I'm not sure about the division of Alaska (is it into counties?), but
part of the Aleutian islands is in the Hawaii-Aleutian TZ. The rest
is in the Alaska TZ.

Florida:
Gulf county (Central & Eastern)

Idaho:
Idaho county (Mountain & Pacific). It looks like the boundary is the
Salmon river here.
On my map, a small north-western part of Lemhi county is also in the
Pacific TZ, but this could be either a bit of inaccuracy on the part
of Rand McNally, or there is simply no one living in that part. Or
both.

Nebraska:
Cherry county (Mountain & Central)

North Dakota:
McKenzie, Dunn, Morton, Sioux counties (Mountain & Central)
For part of the boundary through McKenzie and Dunn counties, the
Little Missouri river is used. Morton county is split to keep Mandan
on the same time as Bismarck, or so it seems. In Sioux, it is the
town of Fort Yates that somehow wanted to have the same time as the
folks on the other side of the Missouri.

Oregon:
The only county not entirely in the Pacific TZ is Malheur county
(Mountain TZ). But the southernmost part of it _is_ in the Pacific
TZ! It is the part in which my atlas places the town of McDermitt (on
the California border).

South Dakota:
Stanley and Jones counties (Mountain & Central)

Texas:
the only parts of Texas not in Central but Mountain TZ are El Paso
and Hudspeth counties entirely, and the part of Culberson county Pine
Springs is in. So this last county is split, time-wise.

How are these time zone boundaries signposted in the US? "You are now
entering the Eastern Time Zone"? Not unlike Berlin... ;-)

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., michael donner <m@d...> wrote:
> nice hole in reality peter
> which i chanced to visit recently
> while en route from alflga to shore dinner in apalachicola
> but unwittingly since i am normally oblivious of time
>
> several different versions of truth are alleged
>
> besides brendans mcnallys
> http://www.fla-usa.com/counties/Gulf_county.html dated 1999
> shows the time boundary leaving within central zone most of the
community
> of overstreet as well as the unlabelled area to its east possibly
named
> dalkeith
> but leaving white city & beacon hill entirely within eastern time
>
> & my 1996 aaa road atlas also leaves white city & beacon hill
entirely eastern
> & dalkeith mostly eastern but differently so & overstreet entirely
central

> & my 1980 gousha road atlas shows beacon hill & white city mostly
in central
> & overstreet & dalkeith entirely in central
>

> so until we find some official definition of the boundary
> which actually doesnt seem very intent on cleaving to highways 386
or 71
> & which doesnt seem to have any incorporated towns here to hug
either
> it is looking like pure guesswork & happenchance
>
> but to try to answer your most interesting & middle question anyway
> none of these places has more than 1 zip code assigned to it
> & in fact they may all share post offices with single numbers
> since several come up empty
> so i think zippable time zoning probably isnt ready for this area
yet
> but fantastic idea anyway
>
> maybe oz is ready for zip primed time tho

> >according to my recent )undated) rand mcnally atlas, the time zone
boundary
> >follows Apalachicola R from Lake seminole to the head of an inlet
N of Bay