Subject: Re: global clave census in progress
Date: May 09, 2001 @ 07:50
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

This problem with Gibraltar being British and Ceuta Spanish doesn't
help matters, that's true. But I was really wondering whether in
narrow, but important sea straits (so not only this one), other rules
apply.

As for Gibraltar and Ceuta, I think that for us, the best option is
to adhere to the normal international consensus (which doesn't
include Spain and Morocco in this case) that Gibraltar is British and
Ceuta Spanish, which happens to be the situation on the ground as
well. Unless there is a substantial number of countries that second
Spain (in the case of Gibraltar) and/or Morocco (in the case of
Ceuta, Melilla, and the islets) in their claims. Maybe, in the Ceuta
c.s. case, other Arab League countries?

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@h...> wrote:
> The problem with Gibraltar is Spain doesn't recognize it. And
Morocco
> doesn't recognize Ceuta. So whose waters are there is a moot point.
> See O'Reilly, 1994 "Ceuta and the spanish sovereign territories",
IBRU
> Boundary and Territory Briefing 1994. Map p34 has 3mile and 12 mile
limits
> marked, along with waters of gib, Spain, Moroccoa and Ceuta. At
3cmiles
> there is no problem. At 12 there is. What appears to be
equidistancel ines
> at sea for the 4 units are also shown.
> BW
>

> >From: "Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@y...>
> >To: BoundaryPoint@y...
> >Subject: [BoundaryPoint] Re: global clave census in progress
> >Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 06:49:33 -0000
> >
> >In this story the figure 12 nautical miles is constantly mentioned,
> >but I think it has to be mentioned too that this is not just 12 nm
> >from the coast line; it is from the base line, and this base line
> >could be different (cutting off of bays, river mouths, etc.) Also
the
> >claimed status of archipelagic country plays a role here, too. I
> >don't know whether there are, anywhere in the world, enclaved bits
of
> >high sea within a single entity of territorial waters (i.e.
belonging
> [...]
> >with EEZ's. One example is the so-called "peanut hole" in the Sea
of
> >Okhotsk.
> >
> >And I don't know whether Ceuta and mainland Spain are linked
through
> >Spanish territorial waters, just because they are less than 24 nm
> >apart. This is the Gibraltar strait, after all, and because it is a
> >very important strait, there might be other rules applied here.
> >Perhaps I'm seeing problems where there aren't any. Anyway, free
> >passing of ships should be assured somehow (which is the case in
> >terr. waters anyway, as I recall), but perhaps some special status
is
> >given to these important straits. There are definitely such
> >regulations for the all-Turkish Bosporus and Dardanelles. Does
anyone
> >know anything more on this subject?
> >
> >Peter S.
> >
> >--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., michael donner <m@d...> wrote:
> > > since we now have good reason to expect accurate bengal clave
> >counts later
> > > this year from brendan
> > >
> > > & since we are not aware of any other outstanding de jure
clave
> >count
> > > problems anywhere else in the dry world
> > >
> > > & since we can postpone consideration of de facto claves &
> >disputed
> > > territories generally
> > > seeing as these are ontologically distinct types or entities
> > >
> > > & since we can separate our counts of the landlubbing from the
high
> >seas claves
> > > just to keep everyone assuaged & engaged
> > > even if the two types are not ontologically distinct
> > >
> > > & since we can also probably sort out the entire maritime world
for
> > > ourselves now
> > > by simply assuming the global standard of 12nm of territoral
seas
> >everywhere
> > > even if such a regime is not yet strictly in force absolutely
> >everywhere
> > >
> > > & since we can also ignore or at least postpone consideration
of
> >the so
> > > called human heritage area &or everyones land
> > > by temporarily assuming that all whole countries embedded in the
> >high seas
> > > & all metro areas & claves of countries embedded in the high
seas
> >are
> > > actually embedded in some as yet unspecified ontological entity
> > > a somewhat awkward decision taken nevertheless in the interest
of
> >moving
> > > forward
> > >
> > > & since we can consider the paucity of preliminary comment to be
> >good news
> > > both as an index of consensus & a harbinger of ease &
simplicity
> [...]
> >unspecified
> > > entity
> > > a possible 193rd &or first among coequal members of the
> >mereotopological
> > > set embodying full global surface coverage
> > >
> > > this happens to coincide with a multinationally recognized
> >federative territory
> > > if not yet an actual federative entity like the united nations
which
> > > engendered it
> > > & it is clearly ontologically distinct from all the 192 other
> >members of
> > > the set
> > > & which it may actually come to subsume in their ongoing
> >confederation
> > > just like the federal districts &or federal territories of
federal
> >countries
> > >
> > > so the 192 either become federal in relation to it
> > > or they continue as parts of the same whole yet without any
> >relation to its
> > > overwhelmingly greatest part
> > >
> > > but such loose ends as these reflect matters of ontology rather
than
> > > mereotopology
> > > & for now they can be arranged to suit any tastes or beliefs
> > >

> > > the first matter of actual clave typology i think will be to
> >recognize the
> > > varieties of ways in which any of these 192 or 193 sovereign
> >entities
> > > either manifests itself as sovereign territory anywhere on the
> >planetary
> > > surface
> > > or else has its sovereign territory interrupted by anothers
> > >
> > > in other words to simply identify & count all the territorial
> >patches of &
> > > all the territorial holes within all these various modalities
of
> >sovereign
> > > territoriality
> > >

> > > as for drawing ontological distinctions among the claves
themselves
> > > rather than purely mereotopological ones
> > > i think that concern is postponable if not a dead issue
> > > since all sets of territorial & administrative subdivisions
comprise
> > > entities that are distinct & distinguishable from the members of
> >all other
> > > ontological sets
> > >
> > > even the likeliest of their common characteristics
> > > specifically their hierarchical subdivisional rank
> > > is often a very flakey & unsatisfactory index of commonality
> > >

> > > it should not be necessary to detain ourselves over how these
> >patches of
> > > territory are constituted or organized by &or within their
> >subsuming entity
> > > but only that they are somehow subsumed by it
> > >

> > > so of de jure exclaves
> > > including all patches generally
> > > there appear to be the following 8 or 9 most basic types
> > >
> > > 0 metropolitan patches even if not normally considered exclaves
> > > such as spain with ceuta since they evidently form a
single
> >12nm patch
> > > or such as the entire maltese archipelago similarly 1 patch
> > > or even such as san marino not more nor less than a single
> >patch
> > > thus including possible subtypologies 0a & 0c & 0l
> > > to distinguish such archipelagic & coastal &
> >landlocked subtypes
> > > but with all assigned a 0 status for equally easy dismissal
up
> >front
> > > & trotted out here only tentatively & apologetically
> > > since few people would consider metropatch & exclave as
> >ontologically
> > > the same
> > >
> > > but anyway to continue with or to begin the actual typology
> > >
> > > 1 fully embedded enclave exclaves such as llivia
> > > 2 doubly embedded such as found only in baarle & bengal
> > > 3 triply embedded unique to bengal
> > > 4 boundary crossed peneexclave such as jungholz or the baarle
pair
> > > 5 fully surrounded by land patches such as andorra or
nakhichevan