Subject: Re: global clave census in progress
Date: May 09, 2001 @ 12:43
Author: Martin Pratt ("Martin Pratt" <m.a.pratt@...>)

Peter: Straits used for international navigation get a whole section of
the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea to themselves (see
Part III of the Convention at
http://www.un.org/Depts/los/unclos/closindx.htm). Essentially, however,
the special regime for straits relates to issues of passage rather than
the extent of zones of sovereignty or jurisdiction. Thus the entire
Strait of Gibraltar is territorial sea (in theory delimited by median
lines pending boundary agreements between the littoral states) but
because it is a strait used for international navigation, the littoral
states are not entitled to prevent transit passage by ships from other
states under any circumstances.

With regard to pockets of high seas surrounded by the territorial sea of
a single country, there is one in the western Aegean to the south of
Euboea. However, it only exists because Greece only claims a 6 nautical
mile territorial sea; if it ever claims a 12 nm territorial sea, the
'enclave' would disappear. Whether others would appear elsewhere in the
Aegean as a result would probably depend on the outcome of the
Greek-Turkish war that would likely follow such an extension....

m a r t i n