Subject: Re: global clave census in progress
Date: May 09, 2001 @ 07:39
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

I have two remarks (by the way, impressive work, Michael):

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., michael donner <m@d...> wrote:

> 8
> armenia is landlocked & has artsvashen exclave enclaved in
azerbaijan
> excluding de facto nagorno karabakh from de jure consideration
> & is host to 2 or 3 azeri exclaves of uncertain status
> depending on whether you believe the cia or rolf
> but preferring to believe rolf
> hence simply 2 patches of which the metro one has 3 holes
> 0x 1x 2n3

According to my old Soviet atlas, Rolf is right. One of these Azeri
enclaves belongs to Nakhichevan. Still, since this map is not very
detailed (1:2M), there might be more enclaves.
Of course, what is going on de facto is anyones guess (I could make
an educated one). But we are talking de jure situations here.

> 9
> australia is technically archipelagic & appears to comprise 29
patches
> assuming antarctic claims are irrelevant
> counting as follows
> 1 metropatch incl tasmania
> 1 king island
> 1 ashmore & cartier assuming drying reefs intervene
> 1 christmas i
> 1 cocos is
> 1 norfolk i etc
> 1 heard & mcdonald is
> 1 rowley shoals
> 14 coral sea islands & groups
> 7 boigu & saibai & 5 other island group claves within papuan waters
> hence 0x1 1x7 7x21 0n 8n21

Where is Macquarie Island?

Peter S.