Subject: Re: caus straight or irregular
Date: May 05, 2001 @ 14:21
Author: granthutchison@cs.com (granthutchison@...)

Michael:
> can you also say which of the 3 choices gps survey technology adopts
> & whether this points to a most consensual usage
>
> or is it equally at home geocoordinating in all 3 versions

The basis for GPS is the WGS84 ellipsoid. But my (rather elderly) GPS
receiver provides conversion to many local mapping systems, based on
many locally-defined best-fit ellipsoids.
Traditionally, horizontal mapping has been done using an ellipsoid
model (because the sums are easier to do than if you treat the Earth
in all its lumpy reality), but vertical positioning must always be
referred to the geoid, since we're interested in height above mean
sea level. In the old days, this was all done with tide gauges and
sight lines.
So my old GPS gives horizontal data relative to the ellipsoid, which
match the mapping nicely, but also *heights* relative to the
ellipsoid, which can be adrift by several metres from MSL. There's no
reason in principle why the geoid model couldn't be built into a GPS
receiver (it's basically just a contour map of MSL relative to the
ellipsoid) although it's intensive in memory and calculation, I would
guess that such things do exist, but I haven't seen them.

So: ellipsoid maths is sufficiently simple that there's no reason to
use the spherical approximation. It also transfers GPS data
accurately to the horizontal detail of a map, which is what most
people want for navigation. But for accurate height surveying
information you need a geoid model built into your GPS receiver
software.

Grant