Subject: Re: Fiat boundaries
Date: May 04, 2001 @ 21:56
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

I suspect that in a lot of cases, the principle of the boundary lay-
out is specified in a treaty (like "the 49 deg. line"), but the
actual demarcation is left for after the conclusion of the treaty.
Then the field work starts, and errors inevitably creep in. The
border markers are put on their spots, and from that time they are
considered to be standing right on the border. So I think Brendans
guess that the lines between bdy. markers are great circles is
basically correct. That is, of course, if the boundary treaty speakes
of a line like a parallel or some other line normally perceived
as "straight". Sometimes, a boundary between two markers is defined
in a treaty as "following a river" or some other feature in the
field. In that case, other rules apply, of course.

In this respect, it is interesting to know that along the benl
border, very well marked by those nice and tall border monuments,
this also occurs. On some stretches, auxiliary border markers are
used. Eef Berns has a nice photo report of one of these stretches
(where a lot of moving sand dunes constantly made the border a lot
less visible) at http://home.wanadoo.nl/~eefberns/tussenpaaltjes%
20bij%20putte.html .

Peter S.