Subject: Re: DEKU no. 47
Date: Apr 24, 2001 @ 08:06
Author: smaardijk@yahoo.com (smaardijk@...)

The dam+reservoir dates back to 1954-1964 (
http://www.eifelfuehrer.de/V/Vianden.html ).

The photo at
http://www.engineering.uiowa.edu/~cfd/gallery/images/hyd24 isn't the
Vianden dam, I think, but another one (possibly the one in the Sauer
at Esch-sur-Sûre). I can see that because at Vianden there isn't a
road on the right bank near the dam (the bank is very steep there),
and, according to my map, the dam is straight rather than bent. So
the Univ. of Iowa has made a mistake here.

Anyway, a map (without boundaries) can be found at
http://www.restena.lu/meteo_lcd/papers/radon/seo2000/investigations.ht
ml . The Bassin Inférieur is depicted dark blue. The boundary runs
over the ridge of the promontory which can be seen just to the north
of the bridge over the reservoir, left bank. At the tip of it is one
of the no. 47 stones; the other one is on the opposite bank, very
close to the bridge and road.

I will try to post a scan of my map here soon, but because my scanner
is behaving funny lately, I don't know if I'm going to be able to do
this.

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., michael donner <m@d...> wrote:
> [...]
bank here

> btw i have tried but still cant date this dam
> tho a possible twin on the sauer dates from the 1960s
>

> but since i am still pdf blind
> tho luckily not for much longer
> as a newer computer has recently reached here
> & will soon be installed
> any further clues about any of these new pdf data would still be
enormously
> appreciated at this late date
>
> & i realize this is asking a lot as usual
> so please excuse it
> but while i am being such a beggar
> how about a swatch of your map too peter
>

> at all events
> what i mainly still dont understand here
> tho i agree you are wise to be happy in any case
> is first why you are so lightly throwing your feudal guess out
the window
> & what you are discarding of it & with it
> because i liked most if not all of it & what went with it
>
> & i also wonder what if anything your doing this has to do with
whether the
> condo arrangement predated the 1816 monumentation &or treaty
> but again this is all probably owing to my working in the dark
>
> btw i understood this treaty was agreed in december of 1815
> or are we talking about 2 different documents also
>

> & finally
> once we get the numbering straight
> & regardless of whether the delu monuments might be paired
anywhere
> along the length of the condos
> do you not agree with my guess that there will only be single
monuments
> marking both dedelulun & dedelulus
>
> that is to say
> 19 & 47 or whatever you call them may be twinned or paired with
mates on
> the right bank as i believe you have indicated
> but both the dedelulu twins here should turn out to be marked on
their spots
> by a single monument in each case
> standing on the left bank only in each case
>
> i mean
> the lines between them & any right bank mates are dedelu lines
rather than
> dedelulu lines
>
> but this may just be a matter of clarification rather than
disagreement

> anyway
> please do keep dishing what you can & will

> >Great stuff, Wolfgang. So, if I understand correctly, the Vianden
> >land boundary is marked since 1816. It could have existed before
that
> >date, of course, but for now I'm happy to throw my feudal guess out
> >of the window. Some other considerations here, then.
> >
> >Still, on my map, it is already at bdy. stone no. 19 the fun
starts,
> >whereas in your document you mention 26. On my map, no. 19 is at
the
> >river, nos. 20 and 21 at the road border crossing of the road
> >Vianden - Roth an der Our, no. 24 is near something called "Les
Trois
> >Vierges", and nos. 25 to 31 are all around an area called
Wëngerdelt.
> >Is the numbering on my map wrong?
> >
> >No. 47 is a pair, I think, as can be seen on the map in your
> >document. It is at the promontory. That one is the real tripoint, I
> >think (dedelulu). The no. 47 on the right bank is "merely" a
boundary
> >mark on the delulu border, and of course the marker (together with
> >its brother) as to where the condo starts again.
> >
> >Interesting is also the myriad of auxiliary border stones
> >(Zwischengrenzsteine) in the bdy. stone no. 47 area.
> >
> >Another thing is that apart from 1816 and 1984, there is a 1930
> >agreement as well, although that seems to be the formalisation of
the
> >situation already in existence. In 1984, something was changed.
> >Something had to be changed anyway after the building of the dam
> >which formed the lake.
> >
> >You are obviously in possession of a very interesting publication
> >here, Wolfgang. Does it say anything at all on the origins of the
> >Vianden border?
> >
> >Peter S.
> >
> >--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Gartner Wolfgang <WGartner@k...> wrote:
> >> hi, enclosed you will find some infos about boundary-stones on
DE -
> >LU
> >> borderline.
> >>
> >> <<DELU.PDF>>